When a child grows up, the first thing they learn is language from their parents, slowly picking on to their habits while learning motor movements. Eventually, their brain also keeps developing rapidly. This is the stage when they should be extremely careful about the kind of environment they are interacting with, it is often shown by a parent because the child is not old enough to differentiate a positive environment from a negative one. Adjusting to an environment and getting familiar with it with the help of observed behavior learning or any other means is known as social referencing.
Social referencing is a very important tool that helps children and students of all ages to be comfortable with their environment and their reaction toward their environment. Improper means of social referencing as a child due to the lack of resources by parents and teachers can lead to some serious troubles which limit their opportunities.
The role of school
A school ERP provides various guidelines on how teachers should implement social referencing factors in their life. This is not possible all the time as the attendance management system has shown how parents are the ones who sometimes neglected and failed to send their children to all kinds of activities that are being held at the school. For example, sometimes parents are overprotective of their children and would not want them to participate in sports or annual functions.
Similarly, some parents would not like to send their children to a school at all and believe in homeschooling them. This does not disrupt the attendance management system of a school ERP since there are no records of a student in such. Homeschooling is different from sending a child to school, especially for kindergarten levels. It is a good option for high school, college, and university students multiple times because it eliminates traveling time and costs and gives them more hours to focus on their courses.
Uses of social and expressive skills
- Helps a child to have a clearer understanding of practical life.
- Teachers can direct students toward positive light during the transition stage, playing a major part in shaping their future.
- Children learn communication and cooperation skills while interacting with other students.
- Increased focus on the topic by carefully understanding the instructions of a parent and teacher and observing others do the same.
- An integrated focus on all activities, and methods to have control over their emotions.
With the help of social referencing children of all ages find a balance between their emotions and intelligence. this balance is necessary for them to go through difficult circumstances, whether it is related to their academic life or not.
Social referencing for kindergarteners
Here is how you can observe whether your child is being subjected to social referencing positively, as a kindergarten student;
- They show interest in playing with other children, and like their own company as well.
- Understand the difference between yes and no, and which situation requires them to say what.
- Understand their emotion towards a person, thing, or activity.
- Self-protective activities and attitudes towards themself when they identify a situation of danger.
- Able to follow basic ideas and act independently, depending on the situation.
- A positive comparison with other kids.
- Eagerness and interest to know things.
Some children develop slowly because every child has a different rate of development. This does not mean that something is wrong with your child, you just need to put them in more socially interactive situations for them to observe and learn practically.
Social referencing for middle and high schoolers
Here are the signs that they are being referenced well;
- Keen interest in choosing courses and subjects all by themselves.
- Developing budding relationships from all sections of the society, and almost all age groups.
- Increasing understanding and comprehension capabilities.
- Aware of their appearances, thought processes, and satisfactory things and activities.
- The ability to be alone and enjoy the time alone.
Social referencing for college and university students
These are the students who have already formed personalities and must be going through a character arc if anything major happens in their life. However, they still need social referencing because they tend to isolate themselves often due to life problems, academic problems, or personality traits.
Social referencing is certainly important in every stage of a student’s life because it allows them to be a person first. Only then will they be able to focus on other things and prioritize academics.