Luxury brands cater to a very specific niche. These are high-net-worth individuals who understand the value of quality. They also can spend large amounts of money on such items. The way you talk to them is very different from the mass market.
Your messaging must follow the luxury strategy. You push exclusivity, uniqueness, and create the impression of desirability. Remember, luxury brands do not solve problems or identified needs. Rather, they create a dream that many aspire for but few can achieve.
Also, these affluent customers do not like words that lessen the value of what they’re buying. Discounts, slashed prices, or money-saving tips should not be part of your ad copy. Indeed, how to communicate with such customers is worthy of a whole other article.
Using the right platform to reach them is also critical. Digital marketing provides a fantastic avenue to talk to luxury brand customers. Let’s look at some strategies that can work for this segment.
1. Use the Power of Storytelling
One thing to note about luxury brand customers is you cannot push a product onto them. Aggressive marketing can make you look desperate and not worthy of trust.
Returning to our introduction, we discussed creating an impression of desirability. You need to make them want to be part of your brand. And one of the best ways to build that connection is through storytelling.
Your website and social media platforms give you plenty of room to do this. Let’s say you are in the diamond business, your customers already know that you have the best jewelry collection. Indeed, many have shopped for wedding sets, diamond rings, and more from you.
But, they do not know the story behind the scenes. Now is the chance to share the heritage or journey from the beginning to the end. Use videos, graphics, and engaging copy to pass across your message. Like the use of graphics to illustrate the journey from the mines to final product.
2. Become an Industry Authority
Use the digital space to establish yourself as an industry authority. That means having a solid content marketing strategy in place. Use your platforms to:
- Share newsworthy information.
- Discuss industry happenings.
- Educate the customers on different topics. Let’s go back to the example of diamonds above. Use your website and social media to teach about the 4 Cs of diamonds. Go into what color, carat, cut, and clarity are. Use tutorials to show customers how to identify high-quality diamonds. Show how to size ring fingers and so on.
- Invite healthy discussions around luxury brands and so on.
The beauty of content is that it gives you tons of flexibility with what you can do. And once you become the go-to source for information, customers will take note. A consistent content rollout is crucial to remain top of mind.
3. Address Customer Concerns in Your Communication
We did start by saying that luxury brands are not solution providers. But that does not mean that you ignore what is happening around you. The modern customer is more demanding of ethical or sustainable practices.
Let’s take the example of mined diamonds. There have been negative connotations attached to the trade. Inhuman mining conditions, child labor, and blood diamonds are some infamous examples. Indeed the younger generations are less forgiving of companies that avoid accountability.
A digital marketing strategy should address customer concerns. It is an effective way to establish an online presence. So, let’s say you sell lab-grown diamonds. Your communication could focus on the fact that they have zero environmental impacts. Videos showing the production process and sustainability can be a strong selling point.
The Gucci brand decided to ban fur from its 2022 product line. They also introduced Demetra, an animal-free leather alternative. It shows that the company cares about animal welfare. The luxury brand also has a gender-neutral collection, Gucci MX. The line addressed free expression of gender, inclusion, and diversity.
4. Search Engine Optimization
Any brand in the digital space must have a solid search engine optimization (SEO) strategy. It helps to be visible to anyone searching for information specific to your products. Search engines are a fantastic source of leads. Anyone who is looking for a particular product is ‘interested.’
The right SEO strategy means ensuring you are on the top results pages. You can improve your chances with:
- Create relevant, engaging content. The search engines will notice when you have many people on your site. But you must ensure that they stay, thus the emphasis on good content.
- High bounce rates will signal that there is a problem on your site. The search engines will end up giving you a low ranking.
- Link building on high authority sites.
- Site optimization to ensure a good user experience. Pay attention to factors like page loading speeds and ease of navigation.
- Use competitive keywords that are specific to your industry.
- Proper use of Meta descriptions, titles, and alt tags.
- Mobile optimization ensures the experience on small screens is the same as on larger ones.
- Use local SEO by signing up to Google My Business and local directories
A good SEO strategy aims to build organic traffic to your website and social media platforms. Such are easier to convert into customers. This is unlike those who get to your site through paid advertising.
If you do not have a strong in-house digital marketing team, invest in a professional agency. They are in the business and service a wide range of clients. That means you get to benefit from their vast practical knowledge. Since they must keep up with industry happenings, you also enjoy the latest trends.
Digital marketing is quite broad and offers many opportunities to luxury brands. Get into the mindset of the luxury brand customer by understanding them well.
Your luxury brand website and social media platforms are powerful tools. Anyone who is searching for information will do an internet search. A solid SEO strategy will increase your visibility in the search engines.
Once the customer gets to your website, they must have a good experience. Tell the brand story and connect with customers at a level that does not push products.
Instead, you need to pull them in with everything you do. Showing that you care about sustainability, for instance, is a strong selling point. Create compelling, relevant, and engaging content. The aim is to become the luxury brand thought leader.